Ten years have passed since the Montara H1-ST1 wellhead caught fire in 2009. The incident supposedly caused environmental damages all the way to Indonesia’s coast. The companies involved in the case, however, insisted on their innocence. On May 2017, the Government decided to file a civil lawsuit against the companies but they then withdrew. Last year, in his statement to the Press, the Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Panjaitan said that the Government and the Thailand Government were aware of the importance of the case and that it was possible that the case would be resolved outside of the court. Recently, the Government’s representatives said they would visit Australia to hold a meeting for a week starting next week in hope that the dispute could be resolved within six months. Meanwhile, the proceedings on the class action lawsuit filed in 2016 is ongoing and the latest hearing was held on March 21, 2019.
To subscribe please click here